Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Young Bands Series: King Krule

King Krule is 18, about to be 19 in a couple of days and has a new album coming about titled 6 Feet Beneath the Moon.  Unlike The Orwells that I featured in this series a couple of weeks ago, King Krule is alone in his musical pursuits and has been recording since before he was 16. I have a hard time describing his sound, and I think that is partially why I love him so much.  It's different, but familiar at the same time.  

I first heard King Krule because my friend Kevin and I were talking about what our Music Drafts would be...if the music industry were to have a draft that had first and second round picks...Anyway, I gave Krule a listen because it was part of Kevin's 1st round pick of artisits/songs that he was loving for the summer. Easy Easy, his favorite song, was pointed out to me specifically so I started there.  

King Krule's baritone makes you think that there is no way that this kid is only 18.  It lends itself well to the smooth and low growl that he emits during most of the songs that he sings.  The entire album is a map of growing up and how isolating it is to be in your teens and into young adulthood.  Everyone knows what this feels like, you're lost in your own head for most of the time! King Krule just brings it out in drawn out words and syllables that everyone can appreciate.

King Krule, take a listen!


No comments:

Post a Comment