Thursday, August 1, 2013

New Series of Posts : Young Bands

I thought that I would start a new blog series focusing on younger than average bands and artists.  It seems as if there are a ton of new musicians hitting the scene that are at least 6 years my juniors and it's sort of crazy to me! The bands/artists that I'm looking to focus on are people that may still be in high school, but that are trying their best to break out into the music world, school be damned! 

The first band I want to draw attention to is a seriously ROCKING band out of Illinois.  The Orwells hail from just outside of Chicago and they are garnering attention from everywhere, especially NPR and SXSW. Their first album, Remember When, debuted last summer and basically told the music scene that they were here to stay.  Since then, the guys have been working on finishing up high school early in order to work on their new album.  

If you haven't listened to them this is my take: Reminiscent of a late 60's early 70's rock band, almost a Doors meets Ramones flair. Keeping them current, though, imagine that Nirvana, The Strokes and the Black Keys had a baby (not feasible, I'm aware). That is this band.  I completely imagine myself listening to them playing in a smokey bar somewhere in middle America circa 1973.  

The Orwells make me want to listen to their music, and I like that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment