Friday, July 12, 2013

revisiting

Music is a huge part of my life.  I sing, pretend to play a lot of instruments, and listen to music almost every minute of the day.  I realize that seems like a lot, but I'm constantly listening to my iPod, Pandora, GrooveShark, or (GASP) the radio!  Given that I'm constantly trying to find new music, sometimes the older music that I have doesn't get played as often. Inspired by this, I decided to whip out a couple of bands that I love listening to, but tend to save for special occasions....a.k.a. me trying to impress people with a  cool music collection....

The first of two bands that I've reclaimed listening to is a band that I'd heard, but then forgot about. I didn't even remember them on my own, it was because this one single kept playing when I was catching up on Parks and Rec on NBC.  It wasn't even FOR Parks and Rec, it was for the new show on Showtime! Anyway, the song is by a band called Dead Man's Bones.  What you say? Zach Shields and Ryan Gosling's band? Uhrrrmmm YES. This is amazing, and creepy, and bold. And I love it!  The specific song Lose Your Soul is absolutely bone chilling, but eerily beautiful at the same time. I sort of feel like I'm listening to Halloween (the holiday, not the movie). The clapping and slow build up in the beginning of the song lead into quite soulful vocals.  Ryan Gosling makes a surprisingly great lead man and really knew how to bring his personal vibe to this band.  I once read an interview with Gosling in Esquire about how he loved growing up in Disney World, mainly because he was fascinated with the lives of the people that played the real life Disney characters.  I'm clearly paraphrasing here, but how cool and interesting would it be to hangout with Mickey when he has his body, but not his head on? It give me chills to think about the childhood dreams that you must have to get over pretty quickly in that setting.  I digress, the entire album is full and well rounded, and I definitely recommend giving this 2009 release a listen.

The next band is Elbow. They are a British band that can date back as far as 1998 (not exactly the stone age, but I was in 4th grade if that gives you some perspective).  Anyway, as stated in previous posts, I love U2; I have for quite some time. It should come as no surprise to anyone that I also really love Coldplay and Oasis....and pretty much every other alternative band that has come tumbling out of Great Britain.  I started listening to these guys about a year ago at the recommendation of one of my sister's closest friends.  At first I was hesitant, not because I don't love getting music recommendations, but because their band name is Elbow. For real, guy? I set my naming differences aside finally and was impressed with the bands use of string instruments.  I wish that I heard a violin or a cello more often in modern music, especially in an uplifting way. There is a reason why those two instruments are popular picks for weddings, IT'S BECAUSE THEY MAKE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC. Sorry. The long and short of it is that Elbow has mastered the use of strings and your everyday rock band to form something unique.  Once you hear them you'll get it and you will probably be just as hooked as I am!  Take a listen to their most recent album here!

No comments:

Post a Comment