Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Newport Folk Fest

Unfortunately I won't be in the audience of this year's Newport Folk Fest. Ticket prices, poor timing, you name it, it happened and the dreams of attending this year's sold out weekend festival of folk have been dashed once more.  I happened to be lamenting the loss of the upcoming weekend today when I was on NPR's Special Blog Series dedicated to the fest.  They are a great source of music, especially for this festival, because they sponsor it! Anyway, I was checking out the line-up for the weekend and found some bands that are MUST listens if you are into folk music.  Maybe it's just because I'm older now and feel more comfortable about embracing my music choices, but I really feel like folk is making huge strides in the mainstream and I think that it has a lot to do with the "Homegrown" movement.  No matter the reason, I'm a huge fan.  Here is a list of some of the performers that people who are lucky enough to be going to the Folk Fest should take the time to see:

Shovels & Rope - This should be a band that True Blood features in their next episode...just sayin'. Anyway, one listen to their title track O' Be Joyful and you will be hooked.  It's a southern rock that few bands can nail down, but they've managed it and have managed to sound modern at the same time.  Sometimes folk can sound too steeped in the past, not Shovels & Rope.  They bring it to the present with catchy drum beats and a more garage-y sound.  




Hurray for the Riff Raff - I can't even begin to describe how in love with this band I am.  People have told me that I rarely give bad reviews of bands on my blogs, that's because I'm not in this to talk about how I don't like people. I'm here to tell you what I love and can't stop listening to.  This is a band that I cannot. stop. listening to.


Spirit Family Reunion - A band that I am truly devastated that I won't be able to see this weekend, they are a truly incredible band.  There are so many moving pieces in this group; instruments, people, voices, harmonies, melodies, and so much more...passion? I know that they love this life and they love making music. Oh yea, did I mention they have a washboard?!



No comments:

Post a Comment