Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day and Dad Music

Growing up, I used to think that there were only two types of music in the world; Mom music and Dad Music.  Mom music usually involved a Broadway soundtrack and perhaps Meatloaf.  She also really loved a specific Joey McIntyre cd and for the most part, anything that was played on the Top 40.  Dad music was a little more rock and roll, as in, it was rock and roll. My Dad listened to The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, and The Clash, just to name a few.  As I got older, and my music tastes changed, I realized that these two categories could never continue to exist.  There was too much that my parents loved to listen to that overlapped and also that was completely different.  It turns out that my mom also loved mostly rock and roll music and that my Dad had much more of an alternative edge to him!  In honor of Father's Day (yesterday) I've compiled a list of bands that I probably wouldn't really know about had they not been introduced to me by my Dad.

The Clash
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Gem
Marina and the Diamonds
Coldplay
The Allman Brothers
CCR
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Led Zeppelin
Ben Harper
Jack Johnson
Queen (though, in all honesty, it was my Mom who would play "We Are the Champions" every time we lost a Cheerleading competition to make us feel better)


The list could really go on and on, his taste in music always surprises me. I specifically love that he introduced me to Marina and the Diamonds! He was the one that heard "I Am Not a Robot" first and made my sister and I listen to it, obviously forming an eternal love for her and her music. I credit a lot to my Dad, not least of all his caring and compassionate personality. He's a family man, and he loves my sister, my brother and I dearly. I love him and I'm so happy that I got to spend my day yesterday with him! 

1 comment:

  1. I vividly remember hearing Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers coming from the other side of the wall growing up!

    ReplyDelete