Monday, June 3, 2013

"No postcode envy..."

It's been too long, I'm aware.  Here are some updates!

First of all there's way too much music out there for me to pinpoint one band that I think will be the next up and coming this summer, but I will say that I am pretty proud of my past predictions with Alabama Shakes and The Lumineers! Even the Milk Carton Kids are coming into their own! Glad I got to go to that concert last summer for under $30, that will never happen again.

Here I go again with my predictions for the 2013 year for next bands to be listening and looking out for:

Lucius.  I have a 6 degrees of separation with this band, so I'm partial to them no matter what, but it really doesn't detract from the fact that they are awesome.  Killer harmonies and this amazing way of sounding like they are crying, but they aren't, I can't explain it.  They have been playing everywhere that they can and are working hard to get their names out there. Listen to "Turn It Around" and "Go Home" for great first listens. If you're too lazy to find them on your own, here is their Tiny Desk Concert from NPR!!

Bearstronaut.  Another 6 degrees of separation, but still an amazing band.  They will actually be playing with Lucius at the next Boston Calling concert in September, and I cannot wait to see them! Electronica isn't always my jam, but these guys make me want to dance...a lot. They really let their creativity shine through in their song Paradice with a ton of different musical influences. Think 80's pop combined with some bass drops a la dubstep.  Again, not always my go to, but it gets you going and really pumps you up!

The Lone Bellow.  Again, THANK YOU NPR, for showing me The Lone Bellow.  I have just recently started hearing them being played on the radio and I am so happy for them.  They are a truly unique band mixing country, folk, and rock and roll music to create their own form of melody.  They remind me of the Civil Wars at times, but still completely different.  My favorite song is Two Sides of Lonely, it's beautiful and melodic, sad and happy all at the same time.  I can't tear myself away when I listen, especially when it comes to the bridge.  Listen here to their Tiny Desk Concert and hear what they sound like live.


Last but not least, my latest love Lorde.  A 16 year old from New Zealand who makes me feel like I haven't accomplished anything in my life because of how talented she already is.  I see her going places and possibly having the break out hit of the summer with Royals.  Listen to it below, I couldn't resist posting the actual video.  I heard her for the first time last night on our local alternative radio station 92.5 The River and have not been able to stop listening to her. There is something about this song that is infectious, and, as I just told my friend K, I would like everyone to love it as much as I do.


Enjoy and share with me any new finds you may come across!


No comments:

Post a Comment