Wednesday, June 12, 2013

HAIM

I've been reintroduced to a band that at first listen I couldn't get into, but now I can't get enough of.  Their band is also their namesake, HAIM.  I wish that my sibs and I could rock out like these sisters! The cool mix of musical influences are draped throughout each song that they delicately weave together for an altogther chill sound.  This is not your typical "chill" band, this is the band that you listen to when you want to wear loud clothing and maybe go out of your house with teased hair.  By "chill" I mean that they seem like they could care less, and that's awesome.  Again, I wish that my sibs and I were this kind of cool. 


There are some pretty core differences between my siblings and the HAIM sisters, though, let me list them:

1. Though my siblings and I all play (or attempt to play) various instruments, none of us are forming bands anytime soon...except maybe our brother. Anyone need a kick ass trombone player???

2. My siblings and I weren't handed drumsticks and guitars as babies.  We watched Disney movies and sang along to their soundtracks whilst playing our hippopotamus castanets and frog maracas.  

3. My siblings and I would rather harmonize to the likes of Peter, Paul and Mary than create our own amazing sound that can only be described as a cross between Annie Lenox, Fleetwood Mac, Solange, Destiny's Child, and perhaps Miami Sound Machine. None of those things seem like they would fit together, but believe me, they absolutely do.

Again, I love my sister and brother dearly, but our severe lack of balanced musical ability sort of snubs our chances of ever forming a really cool band.  I won't deny the fact that my sister and I pull off a killer harmony every now and again (ahem, can we say N*Sync cover of their acapella O Holy Night?), but nothing compared to this smooth set of vocals that remind me of a place that I have never been.  

Listen to HAIM and tell me what you think!

(listen to this whole song, but at about 2:42 see if you can spot which Destiny's Child music video they are pulling their dance from! I knew immediately, and then had to listen to some awesome throw back DC!)


No comments:

Post a Comment