Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Bienvenidos!

Bienvenidos a mi vida en Espana! I wish I could write this whole blog entry in spanish, but I don't know how to put accents on words online and I am pretty sure only few people would know what I was talking about. So, welcome to my life in Spain! It's very exciting to be here, and I can't wait to tell you all about my journies!!!!

I got to Spain about 4ish weeks ago now, I cannot believe how fast time has gone by. I know this city so well know, it will be wierd when I go home to not have to walk everywhere! I walk, on average, about 3 miles a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I am too cheap to take public transportation, so I walk everywhere! It's healthy, I don't mind. The transition into a normal life here in Spain was so easy, I feel. I never got the sensation of being overwhelmed, or extreme culture shock. Maybe it's because I have a roommate from UNH, I don't know, but I just feel like this was the normal next step to take in my life. I love walking down the street and passing people speaking in spanish, I love it when they help me with my spanish if I ask them where something is! I love everything about this place! Everything except some of the food, some of the food is a little too intensely different for me. Other things however, like tortilla espanol and paella, oh man, those are too good to be true! Also, I don't know why the U.S. doesn't have these, but Tapas make the world go round here. They are little tiny dishes that you get with a drink when you order any drink past 8pm. In Granada, for the most part, tapas are free with a drink. You basically get a sandwich for free with your drink of choice. I love them. I do not love that I haven't really eaten any vegetables since arriving here. Apparently Spain has never heard of green beans. I eat plates and plates of beige food, usually including some sort of ham. My favorite nights are "bocadillo" nights..."sandwich" nights. My host mom has this sandwich maker that grills the sides of the sandwich together and melts whatever is inside. I love these nights because I chow down. I will be eating my weight in the following things when I return in May : american chop suey, mac and cheese, hamburgers, and all the green veggies I can get my hands on.

My host family consists of the parents, Jose and Eloisa, and their three kids, Sergio who is 13, Eloisa who is 11, and Dario who is 4. I know I originally said I didn't want a family, but I love them. They are really fun to be around, and they have their own schedule, which I really like. I can do my thing, they can do theirs, nothing is interrupted because of us being here, and I really like that. They make me miss my family, but it's interesting to see how other families function.

I'm going to try and keep this blogas updated as possible, so I will probably update about once a week or so. I hope to keep you informed about the trips I plan on taking, places I've been, things I've seen, etc. I am already planning my spring break (which coincidentally starts on my 21st birthday!) and hopefully a couple more trips around europe! Last weekend we went to Cordoba and Sevilla as a group, I fell in love with Sevilla. I plan on living there one day.

This entry has gone on long enough, but I am also trying to get my pictures up on picasa so that people without facebook can see my pictures and so that I can post more scenery and not just me having fun around europe,hehe! Until next time!!

1 comment:

  1. We have a few Tapas bars here in Rochester NY.Come visit us sometime, and we can all go. Would be so fun to have you here and to help us order good stuff! Hope you're doing well! love the blog! XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete